Yisroel & Bicur Cholim & Stetziver Synagogue
351-353 Commercial Road, London, E1 2PS
Tel: 020 7790 2874 - Fax: 0871 661
6774 Over 100 years of service to our community - Founded 5663-1903
Using modern technology to bring old tradition to your home Photo
(Left): Catherine Yass (2000) -
Image (Right): Shul Pinkas (1903)
Ya'akov is a "valuable and venerable relic of Anglo-Jewish social
history" and "one of England's last intimate folk-art Eastern
European synagogues" (Dr Sharman Kadish).
It is one
of three synagogues in London's East End still functioning and was the
first Mizrachi Synagogue in Britain, founded in 1903 by Morris Koenigsberg
and Abraham Schwalbe. It is likely that this congregation, which consisted
of first generation immigrants from Poland, Lithuania and Russia; Orthodox
Jews from small shtetls such as Stetziver, Kalisz and Vikaviskis
met in the front room of Mr Koenigsburg's family house on Commercial Road,
later occupying our present premises in 1921, which was redesigned by
Lewis Solomon & Son, honorary architects to the Federation of Synagogues.
are diverse, with members from all types of trades and backgrounds. We
are affiliated to three burial societies, Federation, Adath and Chesed
Ve'emeth, but we are most proud of the fact that we retain our independence,
reflected by the fact that the synagogue is owned and managed by members
of the community. Kehillas Ya'akov "is a remarkable survival... and
is all the more exceptional for continuing in use as a synagogue"
(English Heritage Report 2002).
We are a
friendly group, truly offering a hearty welcome to anyone who comes through
our doors. We are currently embarked on a regeneration project; to restore
not only the original beauty of our building but also the community that
content on this site is copyright - 2003-2011 - Michael Gold and The Congregation